Tuesday, 5 July 2011

The Grand Review

Dear all,

I could probably write a short novel about the last term in Berlin, but I think I'll spare you that joy. Instead, you get a nice neat table of Thankyous and Pleases, mostly based on the things I asked you to pray for last time, followed by a little blurb about how I'm feeling about it all. 

I'm thankful for...
I'm badgering for...
    good relationships with the pupils and staff at the Monday morning school, lots of chances to show God's kindness and be Jesus' hands and feet. The blessings the school is enjoying.
seeds sown to grow, for my actions to be loud and understood, for more blessings for the school and the relatively deprived district
great fun and lovely chats in the cafe and the park with the girl from my Monday afternoon school, chances to mention my faith and church etc. 
curiosity and good food for thought, continued relationships with the Christians she has met so far
God giving me (just) enough strength to cope with the year 8s on Tuesdays, the chance to show them grace and patience each week, a couple of chances to mention my being a Christian
them to remember me in connection with being a Christian, for further Christians in their lives, for curiosity, for protection from harmful influences, for direction onto good paths.
the chance to meet regularly with my 3 year 8 girls on Wednesdays and be clear about my faith, the chance to explain elements of Christianity to them, the fact they showed willing to come to my farewell party
anything good I said or did to be sealed in, for seeds to grow and grow and multiply, for E to continue growing into a strong woman of God and a clear witness for Jesus, for continued contact with the girls.
the highlight of my week, the year 9s at my Thursday school, for the fun and the chances to talk about my faith, for the spontaneous trips to the shopping centre, the baking, the invitation to the family celebration, the way the English Club crew came to my farewell party, so so much...
seeds to grow, W to go to church with her Christian friends, friendships started at my party to continue and bear fruit, protection and guidance onto good paths, more Christians in their lives, good food for thought....
friendships and informal discipling relationships (both directions) in connection with the Weissensee Baptist crew, encouragement, fun, networking, prayer support, practical support, the list goes on...
blessing and wisdom and growth for the young people and the youth pastor, peace within the crew, spirit ignited growth for the church community!!!
the good chats had on Tuesday evenings, the support from a fantastic friend K, the way Jesus had been slowly but surely revealing himself, particularly to A, the way God has been prodding A to take initiative and regather older Lebensladen troops himself, for the opportunity to give A a Bible
A to read his Bible and for the Holy Spirit to help him understand, for protection for all the seeds sown in A, for courage to respond, for the other guys who came on Tuesdays to see this as an exciting beginning rather than a sad ending, for wisdom for me with regards to staying in touch appropriately.
the idea for Tea and Toast and the way it unfolded and developed, for the natural evangelism stemming from the mix of Christians and non Christians, for the fun, the fellowship, the learning, the friendships forged...
the friendships to continue to develop, the seeds to come to FRUITION, wisdom and motivation/organisation for me re: staying in touch, that God would stay on each individual's case!
the support and encouragement the New Frontiers bunch have been to me out here, the way God is leading the team on a slightly rocky but exciting road, the great alpha course we had, the contacts and 'coincidences' in the city so far...
protection for all the team as the enemy tries to discourage through illness, redunancy, bureaucracy etc, clarity of vision, the right people to join the team, friends in Berlin to come to KNOW CHRIST, opportunities to serve Berliners, signs and wonders to accompany the message of hope...

One of my friends in Berlin said something on the day before I left that massively encouraged me. She said, "Claire, I get the impression that you have often been in the right place at the right time this year." 
She said this based presumably on the evidence of young people she knows, which is encouraging enough, but despite the fact in many of the circles I have been moving in this year she doesn't know anyone, I really felt that her words were also God's words of encouragement to me. 

When I arrived in Berlin I really did feel like a fool just walking blindly in an unknown direction, following clues people were giving me in the form of addresses, names, times, dates. It was exciting and I had to trust God because I didn't have a plan. Over the course of the year, I settled into some sort of routine and had made friends, so this feeling of walking blindly faded fairly fast. But when my friend said this to me the other day, I realised that even though I was consciously making the choices about where to go, who to meet etc., God was still placing me exactly where he wanted me even though I often didn't 'feel the Spirit guiding me'. 

I didn't get to be part of a team who had a shared mission statement, strategy, prayer meetings and I didn't have a leadership committee to steer me, but God still used me. I can't see many of the results, but it's almost like I can smell them. This is a massive encouragement to me that God does use me, exactly where I am. Whether I am flitting around an odd German city called Berlin or hanging out with students in Leeds, or making sandwiches for a living (or whatever the step after university ends up being). It's a shame we often only realise our influence and impact when we leave a place/situation. 



Now I've got you here, you may as well pray for me this summer, as I'm hoping to learn to drive (pray also for the unsuspecting residents of Reading...), invest a lot of time in improving my guitar-playing, spend quality time with the family and get ahead on the reading for next semester... I would love to hear from you and pray for whatever's going down in your world.

Words can't express how thankful I am that you have been praying for me this year. One day we will see the fruit and rejoice even more!

Love in Christ,
Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment