Hello faithful friends,
It's long overdue but I am going to pull myself together and sit and write this thing!
Before I get stuck in I feel an APOLOGY is due. The song I quoted at the end of the last message was NOT by Bushido. Mildly embarrassingly, it's by the very much tamer Xavier Naidoo. But hey, you live and you learn. The point remains.
Ok, are you ready?
Somewhat bizzarely, I am already in my first school holiday! I feel like I've barely got started (probably because I have barely got started) and now I've got 2 weeks off. I'm going to try to give you some snapshots of what my work in schools has involved so far:
SCHOOL NUMBER 1 // MONDAY MORNINGS
Went with the year 7s on a school trip to a lake, which we walked around and had a picnic. It was good to be able to wander between little clusters of friends and chat to them in English as much or as little as they were comfortable with. It enabled me to learn names better, and as I went to school again the following week it felt much easier to chat to them. I also hung out with them for a whole morning on their sports day.
This particular school is turning out to be somewhat an anomaly, as I'm spending a lot of time with the very youngest pupils, contrary to what I thought/hoped I would be doing. But seeing as I asked God to open and shut doors, and as I have not masterminded any sort of plan, I'm happy to just go with it and take this direction as an answered prayer. So I thank God.
Would you join with me in praying for:
- the relationships with these kids to continually deepen
- opportunities to share my faith
- me to have more of God's heart for these kids.
- me to have more faith for them too - it's easy for me to think that I can't be of any use in showing them Jesus.
SCHOOL NUMBER 2 // TUESDAYS
At this school, I'm spending most of my time with year 11-13s, although I'm also helping in a year 8 class.
The year 8 class is a lot of work as I just get given half of the class and send to another room to teach them the same lesson - but with very little time to prepare. They are also quite badly behaved. I feel pretty out of my depth sometimes. I've talked to the teacher about it and there's a new plan of action in place for next term, so please pray that it's fruitful and that I can be helpful as an English teacher as well as being approachable. Pray for wisdom and that I may somehow be a light there, whatever the situation.
The year 11-13 lessons are enjoyable - because they understand a lot more of what I say, it's a lot easier to relate to them. I've been doing English Clubs after school for two seperate small groups of pupils, which have been good fun so far. I am hopeful about the prospect of getting to know the young people who come a bit better. Pray for relaxed atmospheres, deepening friendships and opportunities for me to explain the hope that I have!
SCHOOL NUMBER 3 // WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS + RANDOM TIMES
I've been to a few random sixth form lessons/activities at this school, which have been enjoyable but it's frustrating that I can't see any of the young people regularly i.e. I can't get to know them.
Wednesday afternoons I've been doing an English Club for the last few weeks, which has been attended by year 8 girls (one of whom wears a WWJD wristband...!) Again, I've been surprised that it's seemed to be the younger kids who come along, as the poster I made was aimed at older year groups. It makes it harder to get to know them outside of club because they are still a bit too young to be want to come for a coffee after Club (for example). Praise God that they're there, but also pray for guidance about things I can invite them to.
Please also pray that I can find some sixth form lessons to help out in at convenient times.
SCHOOL NUMBER 4 // THURSDAYS
I've only been to this school once, and that was to meet the teacher and discuss when I should come. I was meant to be going for the last couple of weeks, but the teachers whose lessons I would have been going to have been ill and other things have been getting in the way. However, I'm excited about starting there after the holidays.
Thank God for the open door, and pray for his hand to be over me and guiding me as I start there.
SCHOOL NUMBER 5 // MONDAY AFTERNOONS
This is a funny one. This school is on my list because of a christian girl who's in the sixth form there requesting that I go and do something there! How awesome! So I went with her a good few weeks back and introduced myself to the head of English. The rest has been arranged exclusively by e-mail, but last Monday I met the girl who invited me to her school plus two other girls who wanted to come to an English Club and who were frustrated that not enough people has heard about it - so they are going to tell more people to come!
Praise God for the way things seem to be gathering momentum! And pray that it takes off the ground after the holiday, that it can be dynamic a place where friendships develop, and a springboard for evangelism!
There's also the possibility of helping in one lesson prior to the after school club each week, so pray that God would put me in the right one (if any)!
__________________________________
WELL DONE FOR READING THIS FAR
__________________________________
If you can take more, read on!
_________________________
So, in the world outside of schools....
NEW FLAT
I've now moved out of my "Boss" and his wife's flat into a flat upstairs. (My address stays the same) It's nice to finally empty my suitcase and stick up all my colourful postcards and photographs. It's also been an excuse to invite lots of people round, which is always good fun.
NEW FRONTIERS
We're now meeting every other Sunday for worship and prayer and word, as well as every Wednesday on a purely social basis. I've met some awesome people already and am excited about where we're going.
(NEW) TUESDAYS
Tuesday evenings have been pretty varied until now - the week before last I was waiting for an hour until the first person turned up. Only 3 people came.
Last week was amazing though! It was being held for the first time in my new flat, so I did a little advertising push the day before (via facebook and studiVZ) to anyone who I had met who I thought might be remotely interested, and to remind people of the new location.
I think about 9 people came, some of whom had never come before, or who hadn't come in ages. I was blown away. Seeing as it was a party vibe, I decided to leave the bible study I'd prepared for the following week, but I'm determined to persistently bring something biblical to the table - because this group was heading for the dustbin*, I feel I've got nothing to lose.
Praise God for the way he seems to be blowing on things and networking crazily! Pray that He would have His way! And that He'd grab hold of my tongue, that I would speak the truth in love.
* Shortly after I arrived, my "boss" and his wife gave me 3 options regarding these twenteeners: 1) they would continue running the group themselves = impossible because they had run out of patience, 2) they would call it a day and stop the group from happening at all, 3) I would take over running the group.
Right, even I've run out of steam now. Time for lunch and a cuppa.
I've been so encouraged by hearing from you guys, please let me know what life is looking like for you and what I can pray for!
Lots of love in Christ (isn't it awesome: we are in him, he is in us?!)
Claire
No comments:
Post a Comment